Before You Contact the IG
Back to Top
- Information provided to an IG is NEVER "off the record".
- IGs will make every effort to keep all interactions and
information confidential...BUT confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
- Anonymous and third party complaints can be filed
with the IG, but no feedback will be given to those who file.
- Soldiers will be encouraged to discuss their problems
or issues first with their commanders. Issues are normally offered to subordinate commanders for action
rather than conduct an IG Investigation.
Back to Top
- Ensure It's a Problem, Not a Peeve.
- Give the Chain of Command a Chance to Solve the Problem.
- Seek the Proponent Agency First. Prior to coming to the IG.
- Deal With the Appropriate IG.
- Most of the time, the
IG at a higher level will refer complaints and requests to
the IG at the level nearest that of the complainant. This
is not intended to imply that a Soldier cannot deal with an
IG at any level desired if they feel the problem is so
sensitive that they are reluctant to discuss it with anyone
assigned to his or her own unit.
USAR personnel contact
the closest USAR IG. ARANG personnel contact your Wing IG.
- Level with the IG.
- The truth matters. We'll soon know if the truth is being told.
- Keep in Mind the IG’s Regulatory and Statutory Limits.
- An IG cannot change a regulation just because it does not suit an individual.
- An IG is NOT a Commander - We Recommend, not Order.
- Keep in mind that the IG can only advise a
commander. There may be good reasons why the IG recommendation was not acted upon.
- An IG Resolves a Case Based on Facts or the Preponderance of Evidence.
- If we cannot find concrete
proof or an overwhelming preponderance of evidence, we cannot resolve the case.
- Ongoing Investigation and Inquiry - Expectation Management.
- Investigations and Inquiries take time. All
should have reasonable expectations on time requirements and resolution, and be aware that a
response will be given to requestor or appropriate personnel only.
- Be Prepared to Take No for an Answer.
- The IG is
an unbiased fact-finder, and the appropriate answer may not be what the complainant desires.
Back to Top
- The IG will need your permission to
work your case. You will need to submit a completed and signed
DA Form 1559 or AF Form 102.
- Provide the IG with copies of all documentation and or
evidence that support your claim.
- Give the IG complete and factual information including who else you've contacted for help, when you contacted them, and the results.